This is going to be a short post. Nothing much to blah blah about. except Happy Independence Day! Wanted to make something special for the weekend. I had made a very berry 4th of July special tart a couple years ago. Wanted to do something similar but then the weekend turned out too busy – lots of shopping and some partying involved 🙂 So on a lazy morning I woke up with this idea. Of making a very berry pancake and surprising the kiddos. They of course loved it and my son wanted to slather them with whipped cream. That is his latest infatuation – yeah, whipped cream with pancakes ever since he had that on our recent cruise vacation 🙂
For the pancake batter, I replaced part of the flour with whole wheat and also added some flaxseed meal too to make it healthier 🙂
Very Berry Pancakes
- Combine milk and vinegar in a medium bowl and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Combine the two flours, flaxseed meal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg and the melted butter into the “soured” milk.
- Pour the above milk mixture into the dry flour mixture slowly and whisk until lumps are gone.
- Then add the additional 1/2 cup water to from smooth pancake batter consistency.
- Heat a large skillet or non stick pan over medium heat, and coat with cooking spray. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Add the strawberry and blueberry slices on top. Wait for about 30 seconds and then cover and cook with a lid for another 1 minute and transfer to a serving plate.
Enjoy warm with some honey (and whipped cream) on the side!