Mom, I am hungry what can I have for a snack? “How about some freshly baked chocolate chip cookies?” Yay! Screams followed by some crazy dancing around the house! Sounds familiar? 🙂 Of course, is there anything better than devouring warm chocolate chip cookies which are still soft and gooey on the inside, straight as they come out of the oven? Actually in my house they are devoured even before they go into the oven! LOL ! Nothing like chocolate chip cookie dough! Well I am pretty sure many of you feel the same …that must be why we have chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream!
Now one thing that I have to admit I do not really enjoy doing is to bake a large batch of cookies. You have to constantly keep an eye on them so that they don’t get overdone. My normally supportive and encouraging family have told me a couple times that ‘cookies is not your thing’. Touche…but it is true…. I have yet to master the art of getting a perfectly soft and chewy cookie everytime I bake them. Sometimes I end up with slightly burnt edges, sometimes they are underdone so I have to put them back and sometimes I don’t spread them around enough on the baking pan so they all coalesce into some weird shapes (instead of perfectly round ones!)
So imagine my elation when I came across the ‘deep dish chocolate chip cookie’ or as I like to affectionately call it ..’the chocolate chip cookie pie’ while eating out at a buffet place recently where the desserts counter was the size of a large kitchen and where my kids and I hovered around the most! Now why hadn’t I thought of this before? All you do is take the entire chocolate chip cookie dough and just dump it into a deep baking dish or a pie dish and turn it into a huge, gigantic cookie …how incredibly creative! Best part of this innovation is that it actually is less work than baking individual cookies! Now how sweet is that (pun totally intended!) ? Plus the bonus is you get the perfect ‘soft and gooey center and a crispy on the outside texture’ for all the pieces! 🙂
OK So in the last 7 days I have made this twice already! And since summer vacation continues for another month, I am thinking that I shall probably be baking this many more times in the coming few weeks! Btw its’ not just the kids who are unable to restrain themselves from gobbling up this pie as soon as it comes out of the oven… 🙂 I am also bringing this pie to Fiesta Friday too where I am sure it will be much appreciated! 🙂
I also did a video of this recipe –
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie
Adapted from Betty Crocker’s Cookbook: Bridal Edition
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup or 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 medium size egg
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- extra chocolate chips to top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a parchment paper or a large plate, add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix well using a sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugars and the butter.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, add the chocolate chips.
- Take the dough and dump half of it onto a greased 8 inch pie dish or a round deep baking dish.(Reserve the other half of the dough in the refrigerator if you are going to bake it immediately or freeze it for later use)
- Sprinkle the extra chocolate chips on top
- Bake approximately 8-10 minutes or until edges look crispy and brown, but centers are still soft.
- Enjoy while warm!