Okra,also called as Lady’s finger or Bhindi (in India) is becoming a popular health food now due to its high fiber, vitamin C, and folate content. Okra is also known for being high in antioxidants. Okra is also a good source of calcium and potassium. Further, okra is known for harnessing a superior fiber, which helps with digestion and is really beneficial for those who suffer with constipation.
This is an easy recipe – I just tried to cook this combination of okra and mushrooms one time when I had lots of mushrooms left in my fridge. It turned out to be really delicious.! It goes very well with fresh Rotis or will go even with some plain white rice or store bought bread.
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 Medium size onions , cut into long , thin slices
- Okra (fresh or frozen), cut into 1 inch long pieces , washed and wiped dry - about 2 cups
- 1 green chili (cut length-wise into two) - Optional
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp salt (or per taste)
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup mushrooms, washed and cut into thin slices
- Heat a frying pan that is deep or a wok. Add the oil and when the oil is little hot add the mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add the onions and let it cook on medium for about 2 minutes.
- Next add the okra pieces and stir for another 3-4 minutes. Keep stirring constantly to avoid burning. When the onions start turning brown and the okra pieces also start getting crispy, add the green chili, ginger and the curry leaves. Stir for about 30 seconds and then add the salt, red chilli powder and the turmeric powder. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then open the lid and add the chopped tomatoes and again cover for another 2 minutes or so till the tomatoes are cooked.
- Lastly, open the lid and add the mushrooms and stir for about 2-3 minutes till the mushrooms are cooked.