As a lover of seafood, I am constantly on the look out for new recipes. The idea for this recipe came when a fellow blogger, Priya recently posted a recipe for shark fish scramble/puttu on her blog, Indian Kitchen. I instantly looked at her recipe and knew I wanted to try something like that soon.
The opportunity came soon as I took a filet of flounder out of the freezer this past weekend. I usually do a pan fry with red chili, turmeric and salt and that comes out great. But this time, I decided to try the scramble with it. Since I was using a filet and since it was flounder, which is really soft and flaky, I didn’t need to cook/steam the fish separately. I just decided to make it exactly like how I make egg bhurji using lots of onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves. And also added some grated coconut to make it more of a filling meal for me. Came out fabulous and so tasty. This is my new ‘go to and easy to make’ recipe! I usually eat it with a salad and or cooked veggies on the side. Such a tasty and healthy meal.
Although I didn’t follow Priya’s exact recipe,the idea of making a fish scramble came from her and so I would like to thank her for that! Hope you try this soon too! Let me know how you like it!
I also made a quick video for this recipe:
- About 8 oz of fish filets (like flounder or any other white fish)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ of a medium size red onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped fine,
- ½ inch by ½ inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 1 small green chili, chopped very finely
- 4-5 fresh curry leaves
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt (or per taste)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp grated coconut (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Defrost the filets if frozen by placing in a bowl of warm water for a few mins. Then pat dry using paper towels and Cut into pieces and keep aside.
- Heat a medium size kadai or a non stick pan and add the coconut oil to it.
- When hot, add the mustard seeds. When they start spluttering, add the onions. Saute for about 1 minute and then add the garlic, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves. Stir for 2 mins.
- Add the salt and turmeric and stir well.
- Now add the fish pieces and stir continuously. As the fish cooks, try to further break the fish into smaller pieces to scramble it. continue doing this until the fish is cooked well and scrambled - Will take about 3-4 mins.Turn heat to low.
- Add the fresh cilantro, the coconut and the lemon juice and stir well. Remove from heat. Serve warm.