Lassi is a traditional North Indian yoghurt drink which is highly refreshing on hot, summery days. Most common is the plain sweet lassi with only added sugar and no flavor. The thick sweetened cream on top used to be the best part for me. Yum! Mango lassi is a popular, modern variation of this traditional lassi where fresh or frozen mango pulp is added to give a most delectable combination of yoghurt and sweet ripe mangoes. In the US, Mango lassi can be found in the menus of most Indian restaurants.
Being dairy free, I had been missing my lassi! But not anymore! Coconut yoghurt to the rescue! I make coconut yoghurt at home now – I recently posted the recipe for the same. You can also buy coconut yoghurt from most organic supermarket stores.
Since Mangoes have been in season (Oh how I am loving it!), now was my chance to try making a mango lassi with my new found love, ‘coconut yoghurt’! I decided to add a few frozen mangoes too to give it a nice creamy consistency. I added a tiny piece of raw turmeric to give it a healthy, anti-inflammatory boost! Yum!
Happy Memorial Day weekend folks. Maybe you can make this delicious mango lassi this long weekend 🙂
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup frozen mango pieces
- ½ cup thick coconut yoghurt
- ¼ cup thick coconut milk
- ½ inch piece of raw turmeric root or ¼ tsp organic turmeric powder (optional)
- fresh mango pieces
- dried shredded coconut / coconut flakes
- Blend everything together in a high powered blender till you get a creamy smoothie. Serve chilled topping with fresh mango slices and shredded coconut!