Fish is a great choice for dinner – takes less time to cook and it’s a healthier option than meat. Pan fried fish meaning shallow frying in a pan using not too much oil is what is very common in my house and the husband is undoubtedly the expert! Poor me therefore only prefers to bake. This time I tried to make a spicy tandoori version of baked cod. Nothing too daring – just added a bit of store bought ‘tandoori masala’ spice and ginger-garlic to my regular marinade. Came out pretty darned good!
And hardly any effort! Now that’s what I like …especially on a weeknight! Defrosting/Thawing however can take up time and it is essential to let it come to room temperature slowly otherwise if you try to defrost in the microwave or using hot water it can get half-cooked and thereby loose all flavor. But once you are careful about that, it is a breeze to cook fish!
I made some basmati rice with peas in a rice cooker and that was our dinner. Easy cooking and easy clean up! Isn’t that lovely? 🙂
- About 2 lb of Cod (or any other white fish like flounder)fillets, about two large pieces approximately 10 inches long and 2 inches wide or cut into smaller pieces
- ¾ tsp of sea salt
- ¾ tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder (or cayenne pepper)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp tandoori masala (or garam masala)
- ¼ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste(optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- lime wedges,fresh cilantro and onion slices for garnish
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a bowl. Apply marinade to fish filets. (Use your hands to spread the marinade mixture on both sides of the fish). Marinate the fish for between 10 to 20 mins.
- Pre-heat oven to 450 deg F.
- Line a baking pan Al foil and brush with oil.
- Place filets on the foil and place tray in the oven and Bake at 450 deg F for about 10 minutes. Take pan out of oven and brush top with some oil and again bake for another 2 minutes. Take out of oven and cover pan completely with foil until serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves, onion slices and lime wedges.
- Serve with rice or salad on the side.
You can substitute garam masala if you don't have tandoori masala.
It is important to cover the fish with foil for a few mins after baking. This will help to get the fish out of the tray easily otherwise the fish will be dry and will have stuck to the bottom of the tray. Covering it with foil gives it moisture.
If you are using fish with bones, then you may need to cook for a couple minutes extra since filets cook much faster