Chocolate, coffee, cream cheese …mmm… and if you have all 3 of these together in a dessert? Just yum yum yum! I first baked this cake a few years go for my husband’s birthday and we fell in love with it.! Now it’s a keeper and a fool-proof dessert that I make every time we have something to celebrate.Of course we also always find some reason or other to celebrate. 🙂
And this time our reason for baking this cake was the joyous occasion of having my niece visiting us. As I have mentioned in my recent posts she loves cream cheese and I have been making various desserts using cream cheese for her. This cake was one of them and as expected she was totally bowled over 🙂
It is really simple too – You first need to bake a chocolate cake and then cut it horizontally so you have 3 layers. Then you can fill in the cream cheese filling between the three layers and then finally top it with a finger-licking chocolate ganache!. This cake is also a great crowd pleaser! – it is unbelievably moist and gooey and the cream cheese filling….hmmm just so yum!
I am also bringing this cake to Fiesta Friday this week! I can’t wait to check out all the lovely foods that folks would have brought this week! 🙂
Dark Mocha Cake with cream cheese filling
You will need one 9 ” by 3 inch round cake pan (or two 8 inch pans) to bake the cake. Grease it and lightly dust with flour and set aside. Pre-heat oven to 350 deg F.
All purpose flour 2 cups
Baking powder 2 1/2 tsp
salt – 1/3 tsp
Unsalted butter 1 1/4 cup (or 2 and a half sticks) or 250 gs, softened at room temperature
sugar (granulated or powdered) 2 cups
sour cream 1 tbsp
Milk 1/3 cup
Unsweetened dark cocoa powder 1/4 cup
vanilla essence 2 tsp
Boiling water 1/4 cup
Instant coffee / espresso powder 1 tsp
sugar 1/4 cup
For the cream cheese filling:
cream cheese softened, 2 8 oz pks,
confectioner’s sugar(icing sugar) 1 cup
vanilla essence 1 tsp
milk 1 tbsp
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and whip lightly with the mixer till nice and creamy.
For the chocolate ganache frosting:
Milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk chocolate bars, chopped), 1 1/2 cups
Whipping cream, 1/3 cup
unsalted Butter, 6 tbsp
Take all the ganache ingredients in a medium mixing glass (or microwave safe bowl) bowl and heat in the microwave in 30 second increments until all the chocolate pieces are melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F (or 180 deg C)
- Take a large plate or a tray and add the flour, the baking powder and the salt. Sieve these dry ingredients so that they are mixed well. (Alternatively, you can mix them using a knife by geometric mixing).
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the softened butter into it. Next add the sugar too and mix using a hand mixer (or a stand mixer). When the sugar and the butter are mixed well, then add the eggs two at a time and keep mixing till you get smooth and creamy texture.
- Now add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture in the mixing bowl slowly 1/2 a cup at a time also adding the sour cream with the flour. The mixture should be very thick at this point. Now take the milk in a small bowl and add the cocoa powder to it and mix well using a fork making sure there are no lumps. Add this milk-cocoa mixture to the batter in the mixing bowl. Also add the vanilla essence and again mix well using the mixer for a couple more minutes.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan and bake in the oven at 350 deg F for about 20-30 minutes, checking every two minutes after 20 minutes to check if its done. (Insert a knife in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, then the cake is cooked)
- While the cake is baking, make the cream cheese filling and the ganache (as explained above) and set aside. Also prepare the syrup with the boiling water and the sugar and instant coffee. Stir and mix well. Keep aside.
- Invert the cake onto a plate slowly by scraping sides of pan with a knife to loosen the edges. Cut the cake into 3 horizontal layers by using toothpicks to guide you. As you cut each layer, slide it carefully onto 3 separate plates.
Assembling the layers:
- Once you have everything ready, start with a large plate that you are ultimately going to serve/display the cake in. Place one layer of cake on it with the flat side on the bottom so it rests stably.
- Now pour the coffee flavored syrup onto this cake layer such that it gets nicely moistened and soaked with the syrup.
- Now spread a little of the cream cheese filling on it and spread it slowly using a butter knife so that the filling covers most of the cake surface. Next slowly place the 2 nd layer over this layer and repeat the same procedure. Finally place the 3 rd layer on top with the rounded surface on top and add the coffee syrup.
- Now frost the top with the chocolate ganache frosting. Also frost the sides of the cake with the ganache.
- If not serving immediately, place the cake in the fridge and remove 20-30 minutes before serving and keep at room temperature. Enjoy!
I have said 20-30 minutes for baking the cake because oven times may vary depending upon the type of oven, type of pan etc. Hence keep a close eye on the cake after 20 minutes – you do not want to overcook and get it dry.
Cutting the layers is also tricky and practice definitely helps. You can insert toothpicks to mark your points and then use them as a guide as you go around the cake with a large, sharp knife.
If you used an 8 inch pan then you will have two cakes and so you just need to cut each cake into two layers.
You can bake any type of basic chocolate cake and then do the filling and the frosting as described above too.