Mango Pie was one of the first desserts I learnt to make after moving to the US (almost 15 years ago now!). I got the recipe from a dear friend, Deepa when we both ‘newly weds’ (at that time) and ‘newly arrived’ in the US with our respective husbands, used to hang out together a lot – looking up recipes,cooking, lazing around,watching movies and in general just ‘laughing’ a lot! 🙂 Love you Deeps! Hence ‘Mango pie’ still brings back those pleasant memories every single time I make it.! This recipe is a ‘no bake’ pie and uses gelatin and can be whipped up in under 15 minutes and then left to set in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours. You can use a ready-made pie crust or make one on your own (I have shown the recipe below). This is one dessert that I am sure I have made the most number of times in the past 15 years and this recipe is also the most ‘sought after’ recipe by my friends. Hence I did a video recording too this time (so there you go folks…no more pestering me for either the pie or the recipe – Make your own please! 🙂 ) LOL!
The only change I have made to the original recipe is to use real ‘whipping cream’ instead of ‘Cool Whip’ since I try to stay away from ‘processed/synthetic foods’. And of late I have also been making my own crust too which is quite easy as well and more tasty than the ready made ones! Believe me this pie will be a huge hit with both kids and adults alike… after all who doesn’t like mangoes, right? Enjoy! 🙂
- 2 packs of unflavored gelatin (0.5 ounce total)
- 2 tbsp of cold water
- 1 cup whole milk (hot)
- 2 and ½ cups of sweetened canned mango pulp (Swad brand)
- ½ cup (generous or heaped) of powdered/granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Two 9 inch ready made or home made Graham cracker pie crusts
- 2 cups graham crackers coarsely ground
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- Take a large mixing bowl and add two tablespoons of cold water to it. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the water to make the gelatin wet.
- Then pour hot milk to the gelatin and mix to dissolve the gelatin completely. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Then add the mango pulp and the sugar and mix well.Set aside.
- Next take the whipping cream in a separate bowl and whip it using a hand blender to make it fluffy (till soft peaks form). This should take about 4-5 minutes.
- Finally fold in this whipped cream with the mango mixture slowly and once mixed in thoroughly pour it into the pie crusts and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the ground graham crackers with the melted butter. Press this mixture onto a 9 inch pie pan to cover base and sides. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 400 deg F for 10 minutes. Let cool completely before using.
Link to video: